Episode 95, release date Monday 25th December, 2017
Patrick Sherriff worked in newspapers in the US, UK and Japan for 13 years.
He is currently working on his third Hana Walker novel in between writing and illustrating textbooks for non-native speakers of English.
Patrick lives in Japan with his wife and two daughters where
He has even produced an adult colouring book celebrating the triumph of Leicester City Football club in winning the English Premiership.
Patrick edited two anthologies about the Japan earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown and has written a diary of a Japanese general election.
Find Out More:
1) Writing website: https://patricksherriff.com/
2) Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/patrick.sherriff
3) Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/PatrickSherriff Also see https://twitter.com/ourmaninabiko
[amazon_link asins='1533583757,B07CTR61MH,B00GMMKK4G,1976990769,B00Y26C2SQ' template='ProductCarousel' store='author-pt-21′ marketplace='UK' link_id='25602da1-9645-11e8-942c-e5d20a352d07′]
4) Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patrick-Sherriff/e/B00JCUJUQO/
5) Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6523167.Patrick_Sherriff
6) Patrick's YouTube videos:
7) A ‘cut-and-paste' from Patrick's newsletter … there's lots of great links in here:
- I published a couple of books last month, though you'd be forgiven for not noticing. There's the micro-niche At the Dentist's: 100 English phrases for dental assistants, hygienists and patients, blog post here, and a little more inclusive textbook for first year Japanese junior high school learners of English, details here. I'm doing nothing more marketing-wise than just the odd blog post or YouTube video until the books have had all the kinks worked out of them through classroom use, and until I have a complete series to offer teachers.
- You want access to 213,000 Japanese woodblock prints for free, dontcha? It's here.
- I'm going to attend my first ever literary hoo-hah, the 2017 Japan Writers Conference from October 8th and 9th in Ikebukuro. Looks a bit heavy on trad publishing for my tastes (more about pleasing the gatekeepers than readers), but I'm hoping to bag an interview with the odd writer (they are all odd, ed.) Come along and say hi if you are in Tokyo.
- This podcast episode of Criminal, recommended by newsletter Gold Star Deputy Mark Williams, was a fantastic interview with the cantankerous septuagenerian NYT reviewer of crime fiction.
- Bored with Haruki Murakami? Discover real Japanese sureality with this great Peter Tasker article on Yasutaka Tsutsui.
- Here's me blathening on about self-publishing on YouTube, using my dentist book as an example of a, er, hole to fill in the market.
- Here's last month's interviewee, Kaori Shoji, writing about a tearjerker of a film adaptation of a Keigo Higashino novel.
- I was chuffed with this reader's review of my first Hana Walker novel, Half Life.
- I didn't get my ducks in a row this month to do an interview with an author, but you might get as much as I did from reading this WaPo article about children's author and illustrator Sandra Boynton. Between her interview and this one in The Atlantic with Celeste Ng on the value of Goodnight Moon, I'm ready to write and illustrate my first picture story books for really little kids. In amongst the other stuff on plate of course …Standalones
Children of the Tsunami
The Short GoodbyeHana Walker novels:
Year of the Talking DogHana Walker short stories for EFL students:
Hana Walker and the Dead Flowers
Hana Walker and the Shogi Champion
Hana Walker and the New President
Hana Walker and the Lunchbox ThiefEFL textbooks:
Tower Talk Kinder 1
Tower Talk Kinder 2
Tower Talk Kinder 3Tower Talk Junior High 1
Tower Talk Junior High 2100 English Phrases
For Dental Assistants, Hygienists and PatientsMore details at
8) All about QuakeBook: http://quakebook.org/about/
This Week’s Self-Publishing News
The Alliance of Independent Authors news update: https://selfpublishingadvice.org/self-publishing-news-net-neutrality-and-you/
Thanks for listening to SPJ!
Thanks for listening to Self Publishing Journeys.
Did you enjoy this episode?
Please help to spread the word about SPJ by doing one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you have something to add to the topic. (Tip: Using CommentLuv helps podcast listeners to discover your website too :-))
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your network.
- Head for iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast for automated delivery of the latest episode.
1 Response to "Episode 95: Patrick Sherriff"