Welcome to Paul's Podcast Diary for Saturday 22nd June, 2019.
Coming up this week:
- I’ll be summing up my plans and strategies for the rapid release of my books in this special read-along-with-paul edition
- How my ducks are now all in a row for my next BookBub promo
- That’s another book edited and off to beta readers!
This diary charts my self-publishing journey – the ups the downs, the successes and the failures.
Everything goes into this diary, week-by-week, but you'll also find it a source of great tips, resources, tools, podcast recommendations and so on.
If you're new to the podcast and want to easily access the back catalogue of podcast diaries, in chronological order, please check out this page.
If I ever miss something out, or you'd like more information, just drop me an email at email@example.com.
My Rapid Release Strategy
Read-a-long with Paul 🙂
- Change to plans after interview with Adam Nicholls
- I am collaborating with Adam to launch co-written book during his own September rapid release … I want to draw from his audience
- That means book 1 is released Monday 9th September, I’ll do this in collaboration with Adam
- The aim is to release as many thrillers at the rate of one-per-week as I can from that date
- If I can get a BookBub on Don’t Tell Meg, I’ll use that to get things going … I’ll need to get one when I re-submit on Sunday 25th August
Release schedule [Thrillers]
This is the schedule:
[Start with DTM BookBub promo?]
***Stuart Bache all covers available – I’ll get boxset 3d graphics done on Fiverr***
1: Mon 9th Sept – Now You See Her [Adam Nicholls collaboration]
2: Mon 16th Sept – Dead of Night [New title is When Daylight Comes]
3: Mon 23rd Sept – One Fatal Error [New title is One Last Chance]
4: Mon 30th Sept – Who To Trust [New title is Friends Who Lie]
5: Mon 7th Oct – Burden of Guilt [New title is No More Secrets]
***3 x Morecambe Bay Trilogy covers arrive – I’ll get boxset 3d graphics done on Fiverr***
***Will make a call on whether DTM Trilogy is being included in this rapid release plan***
6: Mon 14th Oct – So Many Lies [New book]
7: Mon 21st Oct – Box Set 1 [Dead of Night/One Fatal Error/So Many Lies – Fast Thrillers]
8: Mon 28th Oct – Mon 4th Nov – Left for Dead [Morecambe Bay 1] [New book]
9: Mon 4th Nov – Two Years Later [Ready 23rd August]
10: Mon 11th Nov – [Morecambe Bay 2/22nd Sept]
11: Mon 18th Nov – Box Set 3 [Who To Trust/Burden of Guilt/Two Years Later – Female Leads]
12: Mon 25th Nov – [Morecambe Bay 3/ready 3rd Nov]
13: Mon 2nd December – Box Set 3 [Morecambe Bay]
To be confirmed …also depends if I get an August Bookbub:
14: Mon 9th December – Don't Tell Meg renamed
15: Mon 16th December – The Murder Place renamed
16: Mon 23rd December – The Forgotten Children renamed
17: Mon 30th December – Box Set 2 [DTM/TMP/TFC]
- Basic promo budget is £650 for 6 x ads ie Robin Reads [£52] + BKKnights [£4] + ENT [£36] + Fussy Librarian [£15] = £107 per book x 6 = £650 or thereabouts
- Additional promo budget is £450 ie £75 per book … for FB ads + BookBub + Amazon Ads
- Bargain Booksy is £44 + Book Gorilla is £40 … both optionals, dependant on budget
- Will throw in extra budget as I earn it between now & when rapid release starts
- I now have a BB on TSB – I won’t hold my breath on income – and I can re-submit TG again soon
- That income will be used to get new covers on my 7 x sci-fi books
- They’ll be branded in the same world now and numbered books 1-7
- I’ll unpublish them, do a light edit based on feedback and then rapid re-release on them
- Notionally I have a final 3 x books in that series, based on a time travel concept & a final trilogy
- My aim is to re-cover, re-edit, re-title & re-release
Release schedule [Sci-Fi]
This is the schedule:
- Mon 6th Jan – The Secret Bunker 1
- Mon 13th Jan – The Secret Bunker 2
- Mon 20th Jan – The Secret Bunker 3
- Mon 27th Jan – The Secret Bunker Box Set 1
- Mon 3rd Feb – Phase 6
- Mon 10th Feb – The Grid 1
- Mon 17th Feb – The Grid 2
- Mon 24th Feb – The Grid 3
- Mon 3rd March – The Grid Box Set 2
- I have 3 x books slated in for release with Jon/James in July – before 20Books Edinburgh we hope
- I wound up the trilogy so if it flops, it can stay that way
- If it succeeds, there are many more books that can come in that series
What’s my thinking?
- I’m convinced about the benefits of rapid release combined with being in KDP Select … reads makes up 90% of Adam Nicholls’ income
- I’m struggling to do this on my own so I want to ride on the coat tails of other audiences
- I can write fast and furious – this is my primary offering to others … and I deliver when I say I’ll deliver … I’ve been told I’m easy to work with
- I’ve learned about the power of series so I want my cover branding to reflect that to encourage more buy-throughs
- The more I learn the more I’m convinced that the book has to be good – it can’t be rubbish – but the marketing and sales are most important
- I want to really give my books a good thrash using best practice to see if there’s anything to play for
- I’m using the power of the mastermind group – as outlined by Napoleon Hill in ‘Think and Grow Rich’ – and I’m using networking contacts made through this podcast to create collaborations.
- If this tanks – or only brings in mediocre success – I’ve brought all of my assets up to a level going forward … they can all sit there like that forever!
This Week On Social Media
— Edwin Downward (@edwindownward) June 16, 2019
Paul's Podcast Diary Archive
You can access every episode of Paul's Podcast Diary, in chronological order, here.