Welcome to Paul's Podcast Diary for Saturday 29th September, 2018.
This diary charts my self-publishing journey – the ups the downs, the successes and the failures.
Everything goes into this diary, week-by-week, but you'll also find it a source of great tips, resources, tools, podcast recommendations and so on.
If you're new to the podcast and want to easily access the back catalogue of podcast diaries, in chronological order, please check out this page.
If I ever miss something out, or you'd like more information, just drop me an email at email@example.com.
This Week's Talking Points
1) Flight Plan by Brian Tracey – about taking course corrections in your business:
[amazon_link asins='B00F9FL3CA,1596592036′ template='ProductCarousel' store='author-pt-21′ marketplace='UK' link_id='86a39187-c232-11e8-b0c3-3f30616bbd2b']
2) My Q3 review:
3) This is the slogan that I mangled:
4) Rob Scott-Norton‘s BookBub numbers:
- US rejected, so this was just UK, Canada and Australia
- Cost £121
- The Face Stealer was £2.99, $3.99 and I've recently moved it wide. I discounted it to £0.99, $0.99.
- It's the first book in a series. There is currently a prequel novella available and book 2. I didn't discount either of those.
- Sales Day 1 (units) Amazon – 73 Kobo – 9
- Sales Day 2 (units) Amazon – 26 Kobo – 4
- I've also had 14 units sold through Draft2Digital (don't know what that channel breakdown per day is)
- So, 126 units. And a royalty rate of about 30% is (126*0.99*0.3) = £37. I guess there may be some Canada and Australia so exchange rates to factor in…
- It doesn't look like there's been any buy through.
- I'm running at a loss of £84. eek. Guess I should have done some promo after all.
[amazon_link asins='B0189LO8KE,B076CJ37TD,B06XDT2M1Q,B06Y4WBJWS,B01KW4FF80,B075CPWXC4′ template='ProductCarousel' store='author-pt-21′ marketplace='UK' link_id='1ef3195f-c25f-11e8-9c78-e9dde91c7800′]
5) KDP Rocket: https://kdprocket.com/ [My affiliate link]
6) Plot Gardening by Chris Fox – recommended!
[amazon_link asins='B07BH8VZDV' template='ProductCarousel' store='author-pt-21′ marketplace='UK' link_id='a51fad3d-c232-11e8-866e-b3f3edbb4f62′]
7) Brian Meeks podcast interview – recommended: https://www.marketingsff.com/mastering-amazon-ads-with-brian-meeks/
8) Nate Hoffelder podcast mention on The Digital reader website: https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/09/23/nates-big-list-of-writing-marketing-and-publishing-podcasts/
9) Morecambe Crime Festival: http://www.morecambecrimefest.co.uk/
This Week’s Self-Publishing News
The Alliance of Independent Authors news update: https://selfpublishingadvice.org/self-publishing-news-the-future-of-storytelling/
Paul's Podcast Diary Archive